Get Prepared for
It could strike at any time. Not really, it's happening Saturday December 5th, 2020.
- Get your ticket. Early bird tickets are just $5 until . After that, they're $10. Buy a ticket
- Submit a talk. If you're interested in giving a talk at BarCamp Philly, submit your card ahead of time. Not sure what to talk about? Check out some ideas.
- Sign up to volunteer. We love our volunteers every year, but will need their help more than ever this year. Sign up to be on the volunteer mailing list
How to Avoid a Bad
We all know there are 1,001 ways tech can fail us. Here's the shortlist of ways to make sure your BarCamp Philly 13 is one of the good things about 2020.
- Sign into Discord starting November 30th. (You'll get an email with the invite!)
- Test your hardware and software, including Zoom on desktop or mobile (however you'll be presenting or attending.)
- Stock up on coffee.
- Make sure to look at the schedule below (full schedule on Discord.)
- Ensure you have proper feng shui.
- Avoid cursing the moon.
- Have your party sweats pressed and ready for the after party starting after the event at . We're excited to feature music and digital art stylings of PhillyAV collective that night.
Before the Day
Week of November 30th – December 4th
- Speakers: sign into Discord and find your “room.” Pre-populate this with content relevant to your talk, if you choose.
- Attendees: sign into Discord, accept the terms of the space, and explore the rooms and channels. Introduce yourself or start a conversation!
On the Day
Here's a brief rundown for the day's events (all times are EST):
Help desk opens, and organizers and volunteers will be there to help you get oriented. Morning session chats will be open to explore.
Break for lunch, and go offline. Host a “lunch” in Discord by creating a space voice or text channel. Play music. Eat and chat. Maybe do a little lunch time walk or yoga.
Closing Remarks and Final Thoughts
PhillyAV kicks off the After Party with a performance. Other after party rooms open, and may include:
- Reflection & Writing Room
- Lounge Rooms
- Game or Karaoke Rooms
After the Day
Bask in the glow of community we hope virtual BarCamp has stoked. Save any info from public channels. Hunker down and stay safe. Keep in touch via Twitter, or Discord DMs!
NOTE: We will be sunsetting the talk channels in Discord, so if you want to save links, contact information, etc., that were shared in public spaces at BarCamp, please do so before . If you have DMs with any Discord member, those are yours to keep! As long as you both have active Discord accounts your conversation will remain.
Talks this year will be happening in Zoom and all associated text chat and other voice and video spaces will be on Discord. This way, all the good stuff shared during a talk (links, photos, ideas) can remain even after the meeting window closes.
As far as the talks themselves, we have received submissions for five talks during each of six session time slots. (Want to sign up to moderate? You can still volunteer!)
Talk topics this year range from working in our new environments (working remote, working with teams) to the practical and insightful (accessibility, building an HTML5 player), to the public good (overcoming bias, fixing democracy with technology), to the personal and creative (tales from a New Zealand expat, digital camera lessons, sewing masks.)